We were excited to attend the Housatonic Valley Association Benefit Auction on Sunday, November 8th, an event we’ve heard so much about over the years. This is THE fundraising event in Litchfield County, with the who’s who of the county and beyond, in attendance. The event brings people from all walks of life together, with one common goal: to raise a bunch of money to protect the Housatonic River Valley.
Honoring Diane von Furstenberg
Diane von Furstenberg moved to Litchfield County just over 40 years ago and in time became actively involved in preserving the beauty of the area. The benefit auction we were attending would also be a 25-year anniversary celebration, honoring DVF who came up with this fundraising event when she joined the HVA’s Board of Directors.
Addressing Washington Primary School’s filled gymnasium, Diane told the attendees that in 1991 they raised $40k and since then, the auction has helped to raise over $2.5 million.
We could see how that could be possible by the number of incredible auction lots. The silent auction goods and services included donations from every local business we know and are yet to know. We loved walking around the room, spying gifts from so many of our new friends we’ve made through UL.
As for the live auction items; I’m going to let a brief description of our top 3 do the explaining.
Our Top 3 auction items
- Be Christine Baranski’s special guest on set and watch scenes from “The Good Wife” being filmed. Meet some of her co-stars and go home with a signed script (WAANTTT)!
- Go to a taping of “Late Night with Seth Meyers” with 3 of your friends. Watch the show then go backstage to hang out with Seth (SO WANT)!
- Enjoy a private guided tour of DVF’s Manhattan headquarters. After the tour stop at DVF’s flagship store where an in-house stylist will help you spend your $1,500 gift certificate (SUPER WANT, PASS OUT ON FLOOR)!
There were so many amazing experiences up for bid. Unfortunately, neither of us went home with any, just the memories of a very fun afternoon.
Without further ado, here’s a zippy list of 10 things that happened (in no particular order) at the fundraiser, UL style:
- Diane von Furstenberg and Christine Baranski made a grand entrance without intending to – seriously, they walked in on a cloud of glamour and fabulousness.
2. Lora photobombed a senator selfie shot.
(Sorry about that Senator Chris Murphy and Rich Pomerantz – not even 1/2 a glass of Prosecco.)
- We look behind us before getting our own senator selfie shots – Senator Richard Blumenthal and Senator Chris Murphy.
4. Women wore exquisite boots.
- We asked DVF if we could please take a picture with her, and politely asked the lady standing beside her if she’d do the honors (only to later discover we’d asked ______. Sorry, can’t tell you, still cringing).
- My iPhone ceases to work for that one photo and Diane has moved on to the next adoring person.
IMAGINE A REALLY GREAT PICTURE OF US AND DVF HERE
- Lora snaps a pic of Christine Baranski who is beautiful.
- During speech time, Christine tells Diane she’ll make very glamorous compost after Diane has shared how much she loves this part of the world, so much so she’s already bought herself a cemetery here.
- Lora asks Seth Meyers and his wife Alexi Ashe if she can take their photo, right as Seth popped a bruschetta in his mouth…after 5 minutes of chewing and all of us smiling awkwardly at each other….
And that’s Frisbee in the sweater that wins the cute sweater competition that’s going on in that family!
- LOTS of money was raised, and in fact, it turned out to be a record-breaking money-raising auction. Congratulations to all involved!
Bev’s favorite thing: When we realized we had two senators standing next to us!
Lora’s favorite thing: Celeb photo taking 🙂
Article by Beverley Canepari, photos by Lora Warnick.