We asked some of CT’s best home decor stores to show us how to freshen up a room for under $500. Here’s what they came up with…
If you need a little more “Shazam” in your life and your house…go see Blueprint CT Home founder Louis Lemieux in his Bantam store! Your eyes will dance a happy dance when you enter this special home decor wonderland…textures, colors, and pretty things from around the globe. Go and get inspired!
3 P’s for a hint of shazam!
Louis recommends the 3 P’s for an inexpensive way to freshen up a room. That’s pillows, placemats, and paint. We can handle that!
We’ll never visit Mystic without stopping to visit Adore. Another treasure trove of unique global treasures and local art too, we love what owners Deborah and Rick Kollmeyer bring back from their travels. Deborah is an accomplished interior designer who is often in-store and able to offer her expertise.
Freshen up the fireplace!
Deborah suggests the above conversation-starting natural fiber screen as a unique way to freshen up your hearth. Move over heavy wintertime fireplace screens; we don’t want to think about log fires anymore. Out of sight out of mind; until next fall!
Easy room pick-me-ups:
- A fresh side table (we looove the quatrefoil one pictured above)
- Poetic pillows
- Create a grouping of candles (our faves are Cire Trudon...)
- A statement chair (have your current one reupholstered!)
- Add some pieces from the beautiful Oceanology collection
Saybrook Home is a home furnishings destination store! They offer over 42,000 square feet of fine quality furniture, home décor, gifts, hardware and lighting, unique area rugs, and custom window treatments. Whatever your taste or style, Saybrook Home is one-stop shopping to decorate every room in the house. Take advantage of their exceptional interior design services!
Give your windows some new treatments!
Ready-made window treatments are the perfect way to lighten up a room for spring. Saybrook Home offers hundreds of styles from over 20 manufacturers to offer an incredible variety of ready-made valances, panels, café curtains in fresh linens, lace, cotton, solids, prints, and trims – whatever your fancy! Custom styles and window treatment consultations are available.
- Add a bold mirror to make a room look larger.
- A new rug can change the whole room – they have an amazing selection!
- Change out lamps in lighter colors for spring/summer
George Home in Washington Depot carries unique mid-century modern furnishings, luxurious table-top items, masks, and other objects of art you might see in a gallery or museum! If you need design help, stop by the Design Studio at their store. They offer full interior design services and can be spotted in many publications including Elle Décor and Architectural Digest.
Groupings make big statements!
- Frame prints from vintage books and hang in groups
- De-clutter – group all your family photos together
- Place three similar sculpture pieces together
And also try:
- Painting a room or painting a floor!
- Slipcover a sofa or a chair
- Changing a room’s colorway by adding accent pillows
- Take window treatments off the windows (let the sunshine in!) and add sculptures, vases, or topiaries (see photo above).
Pics: Lora / Words: Bev